The Georgia Birth Network is a non-profit organization committed to providing support and education for childbirth professionals and birthing families in Georgia.
GBN members are dedicated to improving pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum experiences through information, empowerment and advocacy.
Georgia Birth Network Board Member Code of Conduct & Ethics
Georgia Birth Network has established a Code of Conduct & Ethics, a set of principles and practices that provide Board Members with a set of parameters and provide guidance for Board conduct and decision-making. The Code of Conduct & Ethics is reflective of the organization’s core values, ethical principles and expectations of a Board member’s corporate responsibility. The Board of Directors of Georgia Birth Network are required to act in accordance with the highest ethical principles and standards of personal and professional integrity and honesty in the performance of their duties and responsibilities as board members.
I. Duty of Care
Board members must exercise reasonable care within the scope of their personal and professional competency in decision -making as stewards of Georgia Birth Network. Reasonable care is the duty of care that an ordinary prudent person with similar experience and expertise would exercise. In a like position and under similar circumstances.
II. Duty of Loyalty
The duty of loyalty is a standard of faithfulness. Board members must give undivided allegiance when making decisions affecting the organization. This means that a board member must act in the best interest of the organization and never use information obtained as a member for personal gain.
III. Duty of Obedience
The duty of obedience requires board members to be faithful to Georgia Birth Network’s mission. Board members and officers are not permitted to act in a way that is inconsistent with the central goals of the organization. A basis for this rule lies in the public’s trust that the organization will manage funds to advance the organization’s mission. This duty also requires board members to obey the law and the organization’s internal rules and regulations.
IV. Prohibition Against Harassment and Discrimination
The Georgia Birth Network strives to maintain an organization that is free from illegal discrimination and harassment. Any Board member who engages in discriminatory or harassing conduct toward others is subject to removal from the Board. Complaints alleging misconduct on the part of Board members will be investigated promptly and as confidentially as possible by a task force of the Board.
Board members are reminded that confidential financial, personnel, and other matters concerning the organization, donors, staff or clients/consumers may be included in Board materials or discussed from time to time. Board members should not disclose such confidential information to anyone.
VI. Active Participation
Board members are expected to exercise the duties and responsibilities of their positions with integrity, collegiality, and care. This includes:
- Making attendance at all meetings of the Board a priority
- Being prepared to discuss the issues and business on the agenda and having read all background material relevant to the topics at hand.
- Cooperating with and respecting the opinions of fellow Board members, and leaving personal prejudices out of all Board discussions, as well as supporting actions of the Board even when the Board member did not personally support the action taken.
- Putting the interests of the organization above personal interests.
- Representing the organization in a positive and supportive manner at all times and in all places.
- Showing respect and courteous conduct in all Board and committee meetings.
VII. Code of Ethics
An active and engaged Board member shall:
- Support the integrity and reputation of the organization.
- Use good judgment based on high ethical principles to guide Board members and members to respect lines of acceptable conduct.
- Refrain from any illegal, dishonest, or unethical conduct.
- Comply with all applicable laws and regulations and hold accountable other Board members and members to conduct business in accordance with the letter and spirit of all relevant laws.
- Act in a professional and businesslike manner.
- Treat others with respect.
- Not leverage the position as a Board member to obtain unreasonable or excessive service from Georgia Birth Network for self, a friend or family member, or personal business interest.
- Be aware of potential influence on colleagues and not exploit their trust.
- Act to prevent and eliminate discrimination in personnel policies and practices.
- Maintain respect for Georgia Birth Network’s policies, procedures and Board decisions and will take the initiative toward improvement of such policies, procedures and decisions when it will better serve the best interest of the person served.
- Possess a professional attitude that upholds confidentiality towards persons served, colleagues, nominees, and any sensitive situation arising within the organization.
- Because of my ability to influence and alter the lives of others, I shall exercise special care when making my professional recommendations or opinions public through testimony or other public statements, including social media outlets.
- I shall portray Georgia Birth Network services through public and private statements that are forthright and factual as it is unethical to engage in false and deceptive advertising.